I bet almost all the developers followed the ‘build’ keynote Yesterday, we had some big news (nothing too much scary, thankfully) and we saw Windows running on a bunch of new devices (I honestly can’t wait to put my hands on them) that will hit the market sooner or later in the future.
On the Dev side, I’m very excited for what we saw: new potentials, some big improvements and a potentially rewritten and optimized infrastructure over which your apps will run on. I loved the metro style UI on WP7 and this ‘bigger brother’ seems very good to me. And yes the ‘pro’ will have their usual desktop view too (with productivity improvements on that side too).
On the consumer and business side, timing here is quite important: when this new beast will be released to the market ? will it be too late to compete against its ‘enemies’ ? when the new devices will be available ? and another one... pricing ? will it get a good welcome from the customers? we can go on and on and on...
Windows 8 should focus its target on the new devices and new installations, because hoping that a big part of the pre-existing windows installed machine will be updated to windows 8 in the close future is just...well...chose your word here!.
Here in Italy before updating any windows version to the new one the usual policy is to ‘wait for the SP1’, people is just scared of changes (and of course the ‘money factor’ plays its main role too, which will stops many businesses to early adopt it).
While we wait and think about all of this, we (devs) can happily put our hands on a Developer Preview of Windows 8, head up to MSDN for more info or just follow these links:
Windows Developer Preview: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
Build Keynote & sessions info: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/build/
Build sessions will be available through Channel 9: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011?sort=sequential&direction=desc&term
Time to have some fun (again)!
- Winforms: improving rendering performances with BackgroundImage and BackgroundImageLayout (26/08/2015)
- A Windows Live Essentials Suite Beta is out...hot to workaround the ‘no internet connection’ setup problem (26/08/2015)
- A Windows Live Essentials Suite Beta is out...how to workaround the ‘no internet connection’ setup problem (26/08/2015)
- Dexter is growing: Dynamic Pages and better Windows Live Writer support (06/02/2010)
- HP ProLiant MicroServer, Windows 7 or Vista installation issues (26/08/2015)
- More related document (6)