In the past month I was working on some cool new features to extend this blog engine:
- Dynamic Pages - to add some basic CMS-like capabilities to Dexter.
- Better Windows Live Writer experience - to manage more details in blog posts and in dynamic pages, you can now create, update and delete both posts and pages directly in WLW.
- A Silverlight 4 Back Office project - I really don’t like to do data entry in Asp.net :).
The first two new features will be added to the Trunk shortly - they are currently under test in my own blog - so let’s give those two beauties a look, here’s how the lower property bar of WLW looks like when dealing with Posts:
- You can have a full hierarchical view of all the categories you have in your blog (and you can add new ones).
- You type in the keywords/tags associated with a post in the keyword box (it has auto-complete support).
- You can the specify a date for the post (even a future one, in this case the publication will be deferred).
- You can specify the Slug (that will be used in the post address) or leave it blank and let Dexter auto-generate it for you.
- You can specify an Abstract for the Post or let Dexter auto-generate it for you.
We now have support for creating/modifying and deleting Dynamic Pages directly in Windows Live Writer:
In the lower property bar you can specify:
- A parent page for the current page you’re editing.
- A page order to decide how the pages are sorted in the same level.
- The Slug (that will be used in the post address) or leave it blank and let Dexter auto-generate it for you.
To modify or delete a page just push the open button and select ‘pages’ in the Open dialog window; you can then select a page and edit it or delete it:
Here’s a screenshot of the new dynamic menu in action:
In this screenshot the tabs: ‘About’, ‘Resources’ and ‘Tools and Utilities’ are dynamic pages.
To check the full source code of this project navigate to our CodePlex page: Dexter Blog Engine
- A Windows Live Essentials Suite Beta is out...hot to workaround the ‘no internet connection’ setup problem (26/08/2015)
- A Windows Live Essentials Suite Beta is out...how to workaround the ‘no internet connection’ setup problem (26/08/2015)
- PrimordialCode is now powered by the open source Dexter Blog Engine (03/08/2010)
- QuiBrowser.it powered by Dexter Blog Engine (26/08/2015)
- Build: Windows 8 (26/08/2015)
- More related document (9)